To visit the museum, please see our Visitor Information page.
The collection includes:
- Fine Art
- Ukrainian regional & diasporic textiles
- Pysanky, wood carvings, ceramics & toys
- Religious Artifacts
May – August 2021
Position: Receptionist/Tour Guide/Office Administrator
The Ukrainian Museum of Canada, Alberta Branch is seeking a full-time employee for the period May to August 2021 to act as receptionist, tour guide and office administrator. The position requires the person to work closely with the museum operations, its collection and the public. We are recruiting a mature, proactive, dynamic individual, quick to learn, take initiative and assist in meeting the museum’s objectives. The individual will possess knowledge and an appreciation of Ukrainian cultural heritage and its folk culture, and be able to perform functions related to the operation of the museum.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Receive visitors to the museum and conduct tours as required
- Serve as receptionist during hours of operation—9:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday
- Operate the gift shop (merchandise sales and placement)
- Assist with research, planning, design and mounting of displays and exhibits
- Assist with accessioning and storing of artifacts
- Conduct research for exhibits and cataloguing artifacts
- Assist in development of website and promote museum on social media (FACEBOOK, Instagram)
- Maintain museum and storage areas in proper order
- Communicate with and report regularly to museum board members
- Perform other duties as required
- Self-starter, organized, resourceful, able to work independently and with others as aa team member
- Superior communication skills
- Experience with virtual forms of communication and social media
- Skillful use of social media
- Proficiency with computer applications (Microsoft Office, databases, etc.)
- Basic computer training and ability to operate office machines
- Website design and maintenance
- Working knowledge of the Ukrainian language (reading, speaking)
- General knowledge of Ukrainian culture and Ukrainian heritage communities in Canada
- Able to conduct historical and ethnographic research, and be able to summarize relevant information for public consumption
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Experience working in cultural management an asset
Ukrainian Museum of Canada, Alberta Branch
10611 – 110 Avenue, NW
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5B1
Closing Date: Friday, April 16, 2021
Contact: Submit application with accompanying resume to Elaine Harasymiw, President, UMC AB Branch. For further information regarding this position, phone same at 780 437-6629 or email at [email protected].
UMCAB Attains Recognized Museum Accreditation
Ukrainian Museum of Canada, Alberta Branch (UMCAB) is proud to announce that it has been awarded Recognized Museum Status by the Alberta Museums Association (AMA).
This designation demonstrates that UMCAB is committed to maintaining standards of professional practice and to ensuring that it plays a strong and important role within the community.
UMCAB participated in the Recognized Museum Program offered by the AMA, which involved providing evidence to a panel of museum professionals that demonstrated how the institution meets the AMA’s definition of a Museum.
The Recognized Museum Status logo identifies institutions in the province that offer a quality museum experience.